I’ve gone to a few wine tastings lately, and had a great time trying to figure out the ‘compositions’ of the wines. Clearly, I’m no expert! I made a leather bound wine journal for my dad a couple years ago, and I figured I could make use of one as well.
Here’s what I whipped up this afternoon!
I printed off the pages on regular printer paper. When I first designed them, I aligned the content to be printed front and back so it could be folded nicely down the middle for one entry per page. I like the idea of leather covers, plus, leather is the only thing I had handy.
I lined up the folded edges of each set of pages and used a saw to cut even holes.
I used a heavy duty needle to make holes down the center of the leather.
I’ve stitched a couple of books together before, and it’s kinda fun. I attached the top two holes of each set of pages to the cover, then secured the bottom holes.
It’s got a nice feel to it, but the cover was too floppy.
I glued a stiff card paper to the front and back covers. This makes the little journal feel like a real book, it’s very nice! I stamped the inside just for fun.
The stiffened cover helps the leather lay flat. It’s a little plain, but cute. At some point, I want to learn to emboss and use gold and silver foil for decoration.
I like the result! Now I’ll be extra prepared for my next wine tasting.
In the start of July, I finally moved my succulent plants outside to soak up the summer sun. I built them a little outdoor table and found a spot where they get the perfect balance of sun and protection from the heat.
There’s a family of at least 8 raccoons that enjoys wreaking havoc in the yard at night. They love digging up potted plants and knocking over everything that’s not secured to the ground. The rascals savaged my poor succulents twice, ripping them out of the planter box, dumping their pots, and chewing on their delicate leaves. I thought I could solve the problem by moving the table closer to the house, but the raccoons were undeterred.
My family and I have had success keeping squirrels and raccoons out of our strawberry patch with a chicken-wire cage. I designed a simple wooden structure with a door to which I would staple the chicken-wire.
The cage works! While it’s not the most beautiful thing to look at, it has done a wonderful job of keeping critters away from the plants.
I lock the door because raccoons are smart, and would probably figure out how to use a latch if they were determined.
I hung a shade to shield the the plants from the intense afternoon sun.
As you can see, they’re loving it! And safe from curious animals.
As you can see, I’m still working on this blog site. This is the place where I’ll post about my ongoing projects and engineering work. Eventually, I’ll make my own theme, so it’s clear this blog is connected to my website, but for now, here it is!